The Iwata family sold liquor in the Mojiko District from 1899. The building standing today was relocated and newly constructed as a liquor store and home in 1922. It was bBuilt in the Taisho era (1912–1926), it and is one of the few merchant’s homes in the city that escaped war damage and was the 1st personal residence to be designated a tangible cultural property in the City of Kitakyushu. Both the main building and storehouse are 2-story wooden structures with a total area of approximately 300 square meters. The brick fire wall surrounding the main building is distinctive. The ridge tag remaining in the attic shows the framework was completed in April 1921, and that the master carpenter was Yozoabu Ishida . The main building has partial hip-and-gable, pantile roofing. The west side has a gable roof, and the east side has a hip-and-gable roof, which was valued as the most refined style in Japan. Inside on the 1st floor, an earthen floor was used in the front, and an earthen-floor passage runs along the west side to the storehouse. There are 4-inch square cedar wood pillars and a main 7-inch square pillar made of zelkova. The store has exposed brick walls. Decorations at the base of the main pillar have Western designs, while the series of rooms further inside have Japanese-style designs. The 2nd floor has a series of tatami-mat rooms with a central corridor, and a veranda on 2 sides. The main tatami-mat room and the adjacent tsuzukimaserial rooms are examples of traditional Japanese domestic architecture. The roof of the storehouse is a gable roof with pantiles, and the walls have sealed pillars finished with white lime plaster. The walls on the west and north sides are brick. The north and west faces inside have exposed brick. The primary client of the Iwate liquor shop was Japan National Railways, and the main shop moved to Fukuoka City when JR Kyushu moved its Moji Port head office functions to Fukuoka City. The Moji store continued to operate, but closed its doors in 2000. Thereafter the house was vacant, but a local movement to preserve it gained steam. Today, it is not generally open to the public, but concerts and events are periodically held there.
Address：2-6-24 Higashihon-machi, Moji-ku, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka Prefecture
Other/Notifications：Only the exterior can be viewed
Category: Constituent cultural properties
Genre: Story 3